|1. Barcelona is the capital of the Autonomous
Region of Catalunya and Catalan is the national language.
2. The climate in Barcelona is typically Mediterranean; the
average temperature is 11º C. in winter and 24º C. in summer.
3.The coldest months of the year are December and January and
the rainy seasons are generally Autumn and spring.
4. The banking hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. from Monday
to Friday and until 12:30 p.m. on Saturdays from October through
5. The approximate flight times to Barcelona from New York is 7
hours 30 minutes, from Los Angeles is 13 hours, from London is 2
hours, from Toronto is 14 hours 10 minutes, and from Sydney is
25 hours 15 minutes.
6.The approximate driving times to Barcelona from Madrid is 5
hours 30 minutes, from Zaragoza is 3 hours 15 minutes, and from
Valencia is 3 hours.
7. There are four very helpful and conveniently Tourist
Information Offices, one is at the airport, another is at the
main train station (Estació de Sants), another is at Plaza
Catalunya and the fourth is at Plaza St. Jaume I in the Cuitat
8. The time of day when most shops close for a few hours and
everybody takes a long break is called “The siesta”. You must
know that most business hours are 9 or 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and
4:30 or 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
9. Do not confuse a hostel with an hostal which is a modest
hotel without services, where you can save money. A hostal could
be identified by the letter H or HR.